How to use veggies as carb alternatives
(NC) Love carbs but hate what it does to your mid-section? Consider trying a trendy substitute to the typical comfort foods. Vegetables like zucchini, carrots, spaghetti squash and cauliflower are tasty ways to continue enjoying your favourite foods. This yummy recipe uses cauliflower to thicken the sauce for a lighter version gratin.
Cauliettes Mushroom Gratin
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
For the skinny “Alfredo” sauce:
• 1/2 (14 oz) package Mann’s Cauliflower Cauliettes
• 3/4 cup milk or vegetable broth
• 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese• 1/4 tsp salt
• 1/4 tsp garlic powder
• Dash cayenne pepper
For the Gratin:
• 1/2 (14 oz) Mann’s Cauliflower Cauliettes
• 1/4 cup onion, diced
• 2 tsp olive oil, divided
• 1 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
• 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Microwave Cauliettes covered for 6 minutes, until very soft. Split the Cauliettes in half and use half for the sauce and half for the main ingredients. Sauté onion until soft, then set aside. Sauté mushrooms in olive oil until slightly brown, then set aside.
2. Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Purée all the sauce ingredients in food processor or blender until very smooth. Set aside.
3. Mix cooked Cauliettes, cooked onions, and cooked mushrooms with sauce. Spread in shallow baking dish (8” to 10” diameter).
4. Sprinkle cheese on top. Bake for 20 minutes, until bubbling at edges and starting to turn golden brown on top.
For freeze ahead: Prepare as above using two 2-quart casserole dishes. Allow dish to cool to room temperature. Cover tightly with plastic wrap, then with aluminum foil; freeze for up to two months. Thaw overnight in refrigerator. Uncover. Preheat oven to 350° F. Bake for 60 minutes or until warmed. Sprinkle with extra cheese before serving if desired.
Find more recipes online at culinarycutsclub.com.