Heat up your summer with barbecue favourites
(NC) This season is all about grilling and salads. Chef Andrea Buckett raves about this steak and spinach salad using fresh ingredients from Walmart. Combine these two favourite foods for an outstanding summer dish the entire family will love.
Featuring Canadian AAA Angus beef and fresh Canadian-grown spinach from Walmart and a cost per serving of $5.14, it’s a savoury, protein-packed meal that won’t break the bank.
Grilled Rib Steaks with Spinach and Sesame Salad
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
· 2 tbsp sesame seeds
· ½ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
· ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
· 1 garlic clove, finely minced
· 2 tsp honey
· 1 tsp salt divided
· 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
· 4 Canadian AAA Angus rib steaks (each ½ to ¾ inches thick)
· 142 g package baby spinach
· 1-pint cherry tomatoes, cut in halves
· Freshly ground black pepper
· 1 ripe avocado, sliced
1. Heat a small frying pan over medium heat. Add sesame seeds and cook, shaking and swirling occasionally until golden and fragrant (about 2 to 3 minutes). Transfer to a small bowl.
2. Combine parsley with lemon juice, garlic, honey and ½ teaspoon salt in a Mason jar. Put on the lid and shake until well combined. Add olive oil and shake again.
3. Preheat barbecue to high. Season steaks with remaining salt. Grill 3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a platter and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Slice thinly.
4. Combine spinach with tomatoes in a large bowl. Add half of the parsley dressing and toss well to combine. Season generously with pepper. Top with avocado and sesame seeds. Serve alongside sliced steaks with additional parsley dressing drizzled over top.