Celebratory sweets for the royal wedding
(NC) Just because you’re on this side of the pond doesn’t mean you can’t celebrate Harry and Meghan’s nuptials. So, get your closest royal watchers together for an English breakfast or high tea, complete with Union Jacks and fascinators.
The only thing better than the “I do”s? This lemon pound cake, inspired by the flavours of the royals’ wedding cake and made with pantry staple ingredients.
Lemon Pound Cake
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 70 minutes
- 2 Becel Unsalted Sticks, melted
- 1 cup (250 mL) sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) grated lemon peel
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
1. Preheat oven to 350° F (190°C). Grease and flour 9 x 5-inch (23 x 13-cm) loaf pan; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, beat margarine sticks and sugar with an electric mixer on high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon peel and salt. Gradually beat in flour on low speed just until blended. Evenly spoon into prepared pan.
3. Bake for 1 hour. Cover loosely with aluminum foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes on wire rack; remove from pan and cool completely.