(NC) 2018 is a new year, with new opportunities to improve your diet. One of this year’s top food trends is plant-based eating, so whether you’ve tried it or not, you’ve likely heard of it. But, what is a plant-based diet?
A plant-based diet consists primarily of foods derived or made from plants such as fruits, vegetables, legumes and nuts. It also includes vegetable or plant-based oils, like Becel. Plant-based diets may also include meat, eggs, fish and dairy, but to a lesser extent. Plant-based eating offer numerous health benefits, including lowering the risk of heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure and obesity.
Try this simple recipe and see just how easy it is to incorporate plant-based meals into your weekly routine.
Lentil and Mushroom Stew
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 70 minutes
• 2 tbsp (30 mL) Becel Salt-Free margarine
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 2 stalks celery, chopped
• 2 medium carrots, chopped
• 1 medium zucchini, chopped
• 8 ounces (250 g) cremini mushrooms, sliced
• 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground red pepper
• 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) water
• 2 cups (500 mL) fat-free reduced-sodium vegetable broth
• 1 can (411 g) diced tomatoes
• 1 cup (250 mL) lentils, rinsed and drained
• 1 tbsp (15 mL) balsamic vinegar
1. Melt margarine in large saucepot and cook onion, celery, carrots, zucchini and mushrooms over medium heat, stirring occasionally until vegetables are tender; about 8 minutes.
2. Stir in garlic and ground red pepper, stirring frequently for 1 minute.
3. Stir in water, broth, tomatoes and lentils, and bring to a boil over high heat.
4. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered until lentils are tender; about 55 minutes. Stir in vinegar.