7 simple swaps to incorporate plant-based eating into your diet
(NC) As one of the top food trends, everyone is talking about the power of plant-based eating—but putting it into practice can seem daunting. Choosing a plant-based diet isn’t necessarily an overnight switch, nor does it have to mean a complete diet overhaul. We’ve simplified the pressures of doing the plant-based diet “right” with swaps to introduce plant-based eating into your daily routine.
• Swap zucchini noodles for pasta to get another serving of vegetables into your dinner.
• Add natural sweetness to your oatmeal and smoothies with bananas or dates.
• Get your omega-3s from flax and chia seeds.
• Trade your taco shell for a lettuce cup, adding extra crunch.
• Forget the mayo — use avocado to make your salad dressing creamy.
• Opt for chickpeas or lentils as a protein-packed meat alternative.
• Replace butter with Becel, which is made with plant-based oils, in cooking and baking.
Need advice on where to begin? Try this recipe for inspiration.
Vegan Kale and Chickpea Sauté
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 8 minutes
• 1/4 cup (60 mL) Becel Vegan margarine, divided
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped onion
• 1 can (470 g) chickpeas
• 2 tsp (10 mL) chopped garlic
• 1 bunch kale, chopped, with tough stems removed (about 9 cups)
• 1 small lemon, cut into wedges
1. Melt 1 tbsp (15 mL) margarine in large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat and cook onion, stirring occasionally until tender and starting to brown; about 5 minutes. Stir in chickpeas and garlic and cook, stirring until fragrant; about 1 minute.
2. Stir in remaining margarine and kale and cook, stirring frequently until wilted; about 2 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges and season if desired with salt and pepper.
Find more plant-based recipes and nutrition information at becel.ca.